At St John’s Catholic Primary School we firmly believe that partnerships with other organisations can enrich and improve the learning and wellbeing of our pupils.
To this end, we have developed strong links with other schools, businesses and church organisations with whom we are able to share resources and provide extra opportunities to the St John’s Community.
These prestigious partners enhance our school in a wide range of areas including teaching and learning, curriculum, enrichment, sport and staff development.
Here you can see a snapshot of just some of the partners that we work with and the fantastic opportunities they provide to enrich the experience of our pupils and staff.
Strong links to our faith
As a school with proud Catholic heritage, we are fortunate to be partnered with St John the Evangelist RC Church.
We endeavour to instil the values of the Catholic Church in all our pupils, and these links allow our pupils to gain a practical understanding of religion and its wider benefits.
Working with our local schools
Our close relationship with St Johns Catholic Comprehensive provides both our pupils and staff with unique learning opportunities.
We have worked closely with our local secondary school for a number of years. Pupils benefit from using secondary sports facilities and visiting the secondary site for Sports Days, whilst St Johns Play Leaders visit our pupils and lead on a number of sports sessions.
As part of our dedicated and integrated transition process, pupils have the opportunity to experience secondary school in Taster Days uniquely offered to our school, for Year 4 and 5 pupils. In addition, pupils frequently visit the school for History and RE sessions led by secondary teachers and we welcome St Johns staff to our school to lead on assemblies and support our charity events.
New staff starters attend training sessions at our partnered secondary and our schools work together in staff observation and sharing best practise on a regular basis.
Focusing on our staff
Our staff are fundamental to our success as a school.
We offer a wide range of training, CPD and staff wellbeing opportunities through some fantastic partners.
Gravesham Learning Partnership are an organisation led by schools to provide training, support and services. Based in Gravesend, the organisation provides resources to pupils, training for staff and learning hubs for professionals who come together to share best practice.
We also partner with Thames Teaching Alliance, who provide our NQTs with initial teacher training in order to give them the best start possible in their career.
Improving learning for all
Every pupil at St John’s is given the best chance to succeed and this extends to our pupils for whom English is an additional language.
We are partnered with the Young Interpreter Scheme, an organisation who help pupils of all ages to use their skills and knowledge to support new learners of English so that they feel safe, settled and valued from the start of their time at school.
We celebrate the strong links we have forged with our local community including schools, local sports clubs and teams and external organisations, that allow us to provide exciting prospects for our pupils and staff.
Our network of links allow our pupil and staff body the opportunity to participate in different physical activities both in and outside of school.
Our school has worked closely with Gravesham Community Leisure Centre for five years; as a result our pupils and staff have had access to a range of exciting sporting experiences including swimming and trampolining, fitness, team games, racket and bouncy castles sessions. In addition, the centre hosts Sports Awards to announce Swimmer of the Year, and attends our annual St John’s Family Fun Run to support and provide guidance for our community.
The purpose of our partnership is to allow pupils and staff to learn and appreciate the importance health, including their physical, mental and social well-being. We are incredibly grateful for the opportunities provided that allow our pupils to experience new activities and develop their skills and we look forward to continuing our partnership this year.
I am pleased to be working with Gravesham Community Leisure in a variety of ways throughout this year and the years to come. We aim to provide opportunities and experiences to staff, pupils and parents that will improve the general health of our community.
Mr Fryer Physical Education Co-ordinator
Other community partners include:
- Wheel Chair Rugby session provided for Year 6 pupils by Gravesend Rugby Football Club
- Self-defence classes provided for Years 3-6 by Shizendo Martial Arts
- After school clubs: dance by Team Kaizen Dance; multi-skills by Sport Health and Fitness; gymnastics club by Premier Sport and taster sessions and after-school fitness club from Power Wave
- Gymnastics coaching for Year 2 and 5 pupils by Premier Sport
- St John's Secondary School support our football, gymnastics and basketball extra-curricular clubs
- Northfleet Technology College offer a basketball club and we offer students work experience placements in our PE department
- Our school sports team kit is supplied by Orpington Football club; used for football matches, hockey tournaments and numerous other sporting events
- Students from Gravesend Grammar School support our after-school clubs and we offer students work experience placements in our PE department
- Pupil participate in football competitions organised by District Football
- Take Pride provide training for NQTs and coaches or one term, alongside organising various district competitions in which our pupils compete.